13 July 2006

The center of everything now has an address

So read the claim -- in 18-inch letters -- I saw on a billboard yesterday. The "center of everything" is a housing development somewhere on on the Waccamaw Neck between Georgetown and Myrtle Beach SC. And frankly, I was so surprised by the visually "blaring" claim that I have no idea what the name of the development is, that particular detail presented more subtly and in smaller type than the declaration which caught and held my eye. (I was not driving at the time.)

Normally, I don't remember such things, but this billboard and that claim dreamed up by an advertising ageny and bought and paid for by the developers has stayed with me. Is it as outrageous as I think it is?

Maybe not. Everyone of us, if we're honest, at least initially sees ourself as the center of everything. That's the way we humans are built. With rare expection all human beings perceive everything that happens, all events, all ideas, all change, in terms of the impact those things will have on them personally.

On the other hand, I suspect the appeal of that billboard's claim will be in the direction of the haughty and is intended deliberately to set apart. Maybe I'm wrong. But, I fear there will be those -- beyond the developers -- who are going to "buy it", taking that message of exclusivity to heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home