17 September 2007

The stuff of legend


I said nothing in yesterday's postings about the day following our six hours in Bodie. The day held much more! After leaving Bodie and traversing the road, this time in improving sections, we stopped at the top of the escarpment overlooking the Mono Basin, Nevada in the distance. One of the mountains in this photograph, I think Mark said, is Border Peak. I don't know if its "address" is Nevada or California!

The Mono Lake Committee has its headquarters in Lee Vining -- a bookstore, art gallery, gathering spot. One book and two t-shirts (and a membership) later, I'm glad I took my dusty self down there before dinner. With the presentation on Mono Lake at South Tofa the day before, the visitors center the day before that and time at the Committee, I am coming to understand something of the urgency of the water situation in this part of the world, in general, and this group's strong devotion to the cause, more specifically.

Our trip's grand finale came at dinner at the Mono Inn, hosted by Ansel Adams' son and daughter-in-law, Michael and Jean. Delectable food. I had wild Alaskan salmon, acknowledging with each savory mouthful that I need not look for such at the Edgefield Bi-Lo! Memorable location. From the mission style dining room, our view was east and we watched the light change on the water as the sun set. Once-in-a-lifetime experience. Michael gave a slide presentation following the meal which included some images I'd seen before, some information I'd learned in the days previous and, and something new, portions of letters written by Ansel Adams which Jean had unearthed relatively recently.

Ansel Adams was a force, as we all are in our own way, an icon, a legend even. He appeared in life like his photographs, I suppose: larger-than-life. Mark has observed that he and his photographs were very much alike in another and more primary way than the larger-than-life aspect: extroverted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home