12 September 2007

Point Lobos

It’s an overcast morning, perfect soft light for photography. Mark has urged those in the group who are disappointed at the light to give it a try, that bright sun isn’t necessarily the ideal lighting condition. We, at present, are sitting on the coach at the Point Lobos gate. It’s 8:50 and the park doesn’t open until 9:00. The attendant is in his hut, not looking in our direction. But, we’re first in line!

Here’s the deal. Since the computer is stowed here in the coach, I’m making notes (which I would do anyway) for the BLOG in my journal as we travel. At the end of the day I’ll put my fingers to the keyboard and post the entry when I can.

1:00PM, on the coach again after lunch: What a morning we have had. Our group was met my two docents each one taking half the group on a nature walk on separate trails (one through the Allen Memorial Grove of Monterey cypress and pine and the other to Blue Fin Bay [I think that was the name; the view from the trail’s terminus was of Carmel and the 18th hole at Pebble Beach) for about 45 minutes and then trading groups.

Following the guided walks, we were on our own to return to locations where we wanted to spend more time with the camera and practice our craft (to quote the study leader, optimistic soul that he is). What he wants for us is to make photographs that go deeper than scenery quality. Mark's advice: Don’t NOT that that picture, the scenic one, but then look around and let what attracts you be your guide.

By the time we were cut loose the fog had burned off, making it seem as though we had been there on two separate days, as you can see from these photos. But, I suspect that whatever the weather, time of day, or the visitor’s temperament, that meeting of land and ocean makes its mark on the soul. And, as Ansel Adams said (among others, I would presume), photography -- like all art -- is an expression of the human soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home