30 May 2005

Memorial Day rain

For the first time in several weeks all the window blinds in the house are open to welcome the light. An (almost) unspoken goal here at the Vicarage has been to wait to begin using the air conditioning until June 1st. Using the blinds against the morning and afternoon sun has helped and it looks as though we are going to make it. Wednesday is almost here. But, this Memorial Day morning the air is cool and refreshing and the rain is steady and soothing and all the blinds are open.

How is it I can be refreshed and soothed on Memorial Day 2005? As I prepared yesterday's prayer sheet for the intercessor to use in worship, I included a petition for today's holiday and in that petition I listed the wars our country fought during the last century. Five major wars (or conflicts) in 100 years. And, presently we are fighting on two major fronts five years into the 21st century.

I am 51 years old and dimly remember the beginnings of our engagement in Viet Nam, asking my parents what the tanks were for as I watched them on our then-1957-new flickering black-and-white television. I grew up never missing an episode of MASH's version of Korea. In the years of grades 7 - 12 I and my classmates were shown reel after reel of "you were there" footage of World War II's history. Between our withdrawal from Viet Nam in the '70s (the end of high school for me) and the Gulf War (fought while I was in seminary) there were also a number of skirmishes around the world which do not qualify as war, but most certainly visited the ravages of war on those involved. Perhaps our being a peaceful people is part of a national myth. I don't know. Today this web log isn't the place for that analysis; it's also likely I'm not the person to conduct such analysis either.

Of greater interest to me are the words of the collect I used at the conclusion of yesterday's intercessions.

O Judge of the nations, we remember before you with grateful hearts the men and women of our country who in the day of decision ventured much for the liberties we now enjoy. Grant that we may not rest until all the people of this land share the benefits of true freedom and gladly accept its disciplines. This we ask in the Name of Jesus Christ our Lord. (Book of Common Prayer, 839, For Heroic Service)

I prayed it the way it was written, but cringed as I did. Why? I don't disagree with the intent of the prayer. I used it to offer thanksgiving for those whom we remember on this Memorial Day and it does that well. It is, however, a prayer for our country and our people alone. "Grant that we may not rest until all the people of this land share the benefits of true freedom ..." The intention of that line, of course, is to spur the pray-er(s) to care for the person who, because of race, background, education etc, is being left behind, ignored, mistreated, underpayed, abused.

But, yesterday praying that was hard. You see, my first thought was not for Americans who are being denied the American dream. What was my first thought? That I was praying for American and Americans only. And, that our world has changed between when that prayer was written and this Memorial Day post 11 September 2001. On the other hand, could it be that I have changed? Each time I participate in the Baptismal Covenant, I state my belief that all people are made in the image of God -- even those declared to be the enemy, even those whose beliefs and values differ from mine. Yesterday I found it hard to pray for the "good life" just for Americans.

Am I unAmerican, unpatriotic on this day hallowed by the deaths of thousands upon thousands of people? I would say no, understanding that many would disagree with me. I can ponder and question the prayerbook's turn of phrase because of those thousands upon thousands of souls. And, I can pray for those beyond our borders because of them as well. Maybe next year I'll amend that concluding collect just a bit.

In the meantime, I am grateful for the sounds of the soothing rain and the feel of the refreshing air coming through the open window. And I'm especially grateful for the soft light coming through the open blinds.


In the category of TMI (too much information):

The collect in question here was new to the 1979 Book of Common Prayer, written by Caroline Rose (Mrs Lawrence), a member of the Committee on Prayers and Thanksgivings of the Standing Liturgical Commission. And, that bit of information is from Marion J. Hatchett's "Commentary on the American Prayerbook" (San Francisco: Harper & Row, 1980).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home