02 August 2005

School buses

The first week of August has arrived much too soon. The first notable thing I encountered this week (and month) have been buses being moved into position for the beginning of regular routes. I imagine drivers being taken to some gigantic parking lot somewhere, wandering among the hundreds of vehicles parked row-on-row until they find the specific one assigned to them, settling in the seat, latching the seat belt, starting the engine, taking a deep breath and setting out for home. That drive, I daresay, will be the quietest one until some day in May 2006.

Tal and I have been home from vacation just under a month. Since that homecoming, the Church of the Ridge has lost a long-time parishioner and a baby has been presented for baptism. Since that home-coming, I've served as chaplain for Guest Period #4 at Kanuga Conference Center between Hendersonville and Flat Rock NC. And, before the end of summer -- that is, between now and Labor Day -- we'll board Carnival's ship Fantasy where I'll have the honor of officiating the marriage of my niece and her fiance before setting sail on a three day cruise with the other guests. (Do you hear the Gilligan's Island theme music in the background? I hope the term "fateful trip" does not apply when Tal and I look back on Labor Day weekend!)

If I'm truthful, I dread even consulting the calendar for September. Absolutely DREAD. I know without looking that traditional fall activities, from our immediate locality to the diocese and beyond, will resume their demands. I want to resist. Those activities bearing down may be termed regular, but I have to wonder if they're real, as real as this summer has seemed. Maybe I will resist.

Beginning next week the regular routine of school buses morning and afternoon will resume. Too soon probably. Ask the students and the teachers and you'll hear "way too early". I hope those who drive and ride those buses will find the real in and among the regular. Maybe, with intention, I'll be able to do the same. That is, while I resist.

Enjoy what's left of summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home